Friday, February 22, 2013

Photos of my Come Up To My Room Installation.






It was probably the most exhausting week of my life. 
We started installing on a Sunday, and had to be finished by Wednesday. I honestly thought that we would be done by Tuesday at the latest, but it turned out that we needed every last minute of time.
I learned that installations typically all follow the same pattern of process:
 Feel overly confident in execution, 
begin installation process, 
come up against a minimum of 20 challenges that you could not have possibly foreseen,
everything takes you at least 2 hours longer then you thought it would, 
add some last minute improvisation,
 a hefty meltdown or two and 2 sleepless nights 
and you have the recipe for an installation.

The installation is based on a story that I made up about an island named bonemeal and the young girl that was left to rule the island in solitude. The installation covers only part one of the story which is fictionally based on her journal.
If you want to know the story, you will have to just wait and come to my next installation. When will that be?
I don't know yet, so stay tuned.
All in all I was so proud of the final result and I could not have done it without the help of my amazing husband and the support of the Ontario Arts Council and the Toronto Arts Council.

No comments:

Post a Comment