Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Scraps, Shadow Puppet Edition..

Hi there and welcome to this weeks 'Scraps', a collection of inspiration....
Shadow Puppet Edition
Are you kidding me? Not only am I in love with incorporating shadow puppetry into my pieces
 but my all time favourite musician ever has made a shadow puppet video for her amazing song 'Lake Tahoe',
yes she made the video herself.
Yes I will talk about how much I love Kate Bush on a regular basis.
But not so much as to break into her house to propose like this guy did.

Shary Boyle's the Dark Hand and The Lamplight live projection.
I was so lucky to go see her "Everything Under the Moon" show at Harbourfront Centre here in Toronto.
I respect this lady big time.
Yes I will also talk about how great I think her work is on a regular basis.
She traveled to Germany to learn the lost art of porcelain making for her porcelain sculptures.
I hope to travel to Italy to learn the lost art of lace making for my pieces.
Darn it! Its the worst when you miss something that you would have totally loved!
Back in 2009 the Canadian Opera Company did a production of
"The Nightingale and other Fables"
Opera? Shadow puppetry?? I will be kicking myself the rest of the week.
Yes, I studied opera as a teenager, as any normal teen does..

 Fred Eerdekens shadow works, magical indeed.

The thing I love about shadow puppetry work, and working with shadow in general,
is the element of surprise and ability to layer beyond the immediate visible.
The shadows and light can entirely change the message and perception of a piece.
Texture and layering is a source of fascination for me.
The ability to move beyond basic layering to add a secret layer (secret lair?).
It is nothing short of haunting.
 I am presently incorporating shadow into some of my pieces. 

bye bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment