Saturday, March 24, 2012

Scraps

Boy am I late on this post...
Better late than never (uh, right?.... anyone?.... bueller?....
neighbour downstairs yelling at his video games?)

So here you go, this weeks collection of whats inspiring me...


This amazing article from Elle magazine on artist Lisa Stokes
and her story of turning from Robert Lenkiewicz' muse into an artist.
The piece on the left is a Lenkiewicz painting of Stokes,
the ones on the right are Stokes' own works.
I love vast difference yet the similarities between the two. Stokes work is so emotional.
And emotional art is my kind of art.
I read this article while getting my nails did back in February
 (something that never happens because whats the point?
 They will just be full of ink and gesso within an hour)



When I was in San Francisco I visited the SF Museum of Modern Art
 and came across the works of Kara Kristalova. Amazing stuff.

Diem Chau's zodiac sculptures done on crayons. 




Hennessy Youngman's take on Damien Hirst
(you know, the guy that suspended the shark?). Pretty funny.
But fyi you may not want to watch it in the office or with the kids.


I will always try to feature someone local in my 'Scraps' posts.
This week is Esther Simmonds-MacAdam.
Like me, she is self-taught, her portraits of men are so moving.
 Her use of strong colour and fearless masculine subject matter is so amazing.
The way she plays with light on the skin and in the eyes is so intense.
I am sure she will be at the Toronto Outdoor Art Exhibit again this year so be sure to visit her.
(she is the girl with the fantastic curly hair)

Thats all for this week! Next week will be the 'Shadow Puppet' edition of Scraps. 
Have a wonderful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment